Sandstone Heritage Trust - Rail News
RN 85 - Steam Shed weekly report - 12th - 18th August 2005
NGG NUMBER 153
153 were fired up early in the morning and were ready to take the train out at 09H00. On return to the shed, we all rushed to get the Kalahari ready to be loaded the next day.
Arno fitted two brass strips to the cylinder covers on both sides, while Petrus and Oupa were busy with polishing the brass on the Kalahari. The tender was washed out and the last repairs were done.
The Kalahari was steam tested before she was loaded.
NGG number 153 was steamed again to haul the Kalahari to Vailima where we could load it more easily. We departed at 12H00 and proceeded very slowly towards Vailima.
ABOVE: A photo of the Kalahari just before departure for Vailima.
We first loaded the locomotive on the one low bed and then the tender on the second low bed.
153 was used to push the Kalahari and tender onto the low beds.
The Kalahari's tender was uncoupled and moved away from the low bed. The locomotive was secured properly with chains and moved away to sleep over in the Sandstone yard, ready for departure early on Wednesday morning.
We departed 06H00 on Wednesday morning, bound for Port Elizabeth.
The first night we slept over at Cradock and we left early Thursday morning for the last section of the journey. This is the greatest, to load a locomotive, take it all the way, operate it and then bring it home again.We arrived at Humewood depot 15H00 the Thursday and we all were very delighted to have the locomotive safe and sound at her destination. Local journalists welcomed us at the Humewood Diesel depot.
After an exhausting trip we took some time off in the afternoon and visited the sea side.
Vrystaaters at the sea!
We offloaded the Kalahari on Friday morning. The Humewood Diesel depot is very well equipped and we could easily offload the locomotive and tender with the help of the friendly Spoornet guys that work there.
A special thanks to all the Spoornet guys at Humewood.
After the locomotive was offloaded, we assembled the tender to the locomotive again. We started with the final touches of the cleaning of the locomotive and got her ready to be steam tested again.
NEXT REPORT: A UPDATE ON THE AVONTUUR ADVENTURER: